Some of my favourite Italian dishes include Lasagna and Spaghetti Bolognese, while both contain pasta I’ve found some brilliant tasty paleo recipes that still allows us to enjoy the traditional dishes without all the heavy carbs.
This dish includes Zucchetti which is also known as Zucchini spaghetti, Zucchini noodles and Zoodles. It was so delicious that we had nothing left over when I made this dish. I love the fact that your body doesn’t have to struggle to process the heaviness of pasta. Zucchini is light yet super tasty and the consistency is surprisingly spaghetti like and super easy to prepare. I am aware that there’s Spaghetti squash which is also used to replace pasta, and I bought some today to try out this week.
After discovering Zucchetti, I could very easily give up pasta for the rest of my life, it was THAT good!
Paleo Low Carb Zucchetti Bolognese
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 1 carrot, grated or finely diced
- 1/2 cup grilled red capsicum, finely diced
- 300grams organic lean beef mince
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1 cup of passata
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- handful of fresh basil leaves, save a few to serve
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in a little oil over medium heat until softened
- Add the beef and cook for 5-10 minutes until browned
- Add tomato, passata, oregano, basil leaves and cook for about 3 minutes
- Cover the pot and cook over low heat for 20-30 minutes until the sauce is thick and rich
- Season to taste and set the pot aside until ready to serve
To make Zucchetti
- 2 large zucchini, ends trimmed
- sea salt
- Peel the zucchini if you want it to look more like real spaghetti, otherwise leave the skin on
- Run the zucchini along a mandolin to form nice long spaghetti strips. Ensure its lengthwise to get the longest noodles possible until you are left with a thin sliver that is pretty much impossible to slice.
Optional: Set aside for few minutes to drain the excess water
- Sauté zucchini lightly in a pan with a little oil, or steam for 2 minutes
- Serve immediately with the delicious bolognese and some basil leaves to top it off. Enjoy!