On the eve of Anzac day I couldn’t resist making a batch of my ANZAC biscuits. They’re foolproof and absolutely delicious with a cuppa.
ANZAC day tomorrow is our national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand which is the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.
The claimed history behind Anzac biscuits is that they were sent by wives to soldiers abroad because the ingredients do not spoil easily and the biscuits kept well during naval transportation.
These biscuits are super easy and quick to make, they only have a few ingredients which would normally be kept in most household pantries.
Makes 16 large biscuits
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 125g butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Stir in the oats, coconut and brown sugar.
- Put the butter, golden syrup and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until melted. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on the trays, about 5cm apart.
- Press with a fork to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Set aside on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack so it cools completely.
Welcome to the first post of 2014! The past few weeks have been relaxing and full of good things and life should be that way. I hope each of you reading this post have had a great start to the new year, I hope that it only gets better.
This weeks post is a simple yet tasty snack or even a quick breakfast that will keep you going on the go. These Easy No-Bake Protein Bars are a great alternative to store-bought protein bars which are great but can be costly over a long period of time. These are tasty, simple and brilliant protein snacks.
Easy No-Bake Choc Protein Bars
Makes approximately 12 bars
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 3 scoops of chocolate protein powder
Dark Chocolate topping (optional)
- 3 squares of good quality dark chocolate
- a few drops of coconut oil
- Line a 20x30cm pan/dish with baking paper.
- Combine the protein bar ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Transfer the mix into the prepared lined pan or dish, flattening it nicely. Place the dish into the fridge and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Once the mixture has solidified, the topping can then be made by melting the chocolate and coconut oil together in a small pot over low heat.
- Drizzle and then place the mixture into the fridge again for a few hours.
- Cut as desired and store in a cool place. Enjoy 🙂