Did someone mention Chocolate brownies? I think all chocolate lovers out there appreciate a great, moist, delicious brownie.
This recipe will make all brownie lovers smile because this recipe is not only divinely bowl licking tasty, but these chocolate brownies have additional health benefits! After sampling these brownies at a local health food store I decided that I was going to endevour to recreate the goodness that made our taste buds dance.
Goji berries have been praised for their nutritional qualities for more than 2,000 years, across the rural areas of China, Tibet and Mongolia. They are rich in antioxidants, vitamins B1, B2, B6 and E, all of which are essential for breaking down amino acids and fats, and converting carbs into energy. They also contain as many as 22 minerals (including zinc, iron, copper, calcium and selenium) and 11 amino acids. Goji berries also contain 3% more protein than whole meat, and more iron than spinach.
The kale and goji berries enhance this brownie recipe and add a whole lot of wholesome goodness to what would normally be a treat. So when you eat these delicious pieces of yummyness, you don’t have to feel so guilty because it does contain some goodness!
Kale and Goji Berry Brownies
Makes 20 squares
- 1 bunch of Kale
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 200g dark chocolate (cooking)
- 3 large eggs
- 200g unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line a 5cm deep, 20cm base square cake pan with non stick baking paper
- Wash the kale and pat dry. Gently tear the leafy portions away from the stem. Place kale in a steamer for 5 minutes or until wilted. Place the wilted kale into a food processor and puree the kale. Drain any excess liquid and set aside. There should be about 1 cup of kale at this point
- Melt the chocolate, butter and sugar gently over low heat, stirring until evenly melted and smooth. Remove from heat and transfer to a heatproof bowl allowing it to cool slightly
- Add eggs, kale, and vanilla extract to chocolate mixture. Mix well
- Add the almond meal, goji berries and cacao powder and stir to combine but do not over mix
- Carefully pour the brownie mixture into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until set
- Once slightly cooled, carefully lift brownies out of the pan and place onto a cooling rack
- Place into an airtight container overnight or for a few hours before cutting into squares
- No topping needed, enjoy the moist delicious brownies 🙂