We’ve found some brilliant paleo recipes, and this one is one of them! This is recipe is egg, dairy, gluten and grain free! Yes!
These bars have a crunchy crust made of chopped pecans and almonds. Topping this delicious crust, is a silky smooth layer of dark chocolate with a mild coffee flavour and is topped off with mini dark chocolate chips. We make coffee the real Italian way of brewing coffee in an espresso pot, but you can use good instant coffee if you don’t have one.
These are a great arvo pick me up minus the nastiness of the usual chocolate bars and sugary sweets, plus you can make a batch and share the love with your colleagues at work….they’ll love you for it! Otherwise, you can keep it for yourself….they really are that good!
Paleo Double Choc Nut Espresso Bars
Makes approximately 16 squares
Preparation time: Approximately 30 minutes
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup almond flour
- 4 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- ½ teaspoon ground coffee
- pinch of salt
- Line an 20x20cm pan with baking paper covering all four sides
- Mix all ingredients for the crust and evenly distribute across the bottom of the pan
- Bake at 180°C for 10 minutes
- In a medium saucepan, bring the coconut milk and honey to a light boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally. Do not cover the pan. You will know you cooked it long enough when the coconut milk is reduced to half and has a thicker consistency and darker color, similar to sweetened condensed milk
- Melt the chocolate chips
- Add ¾ cup of the cooked coconut milk to the melted chocolate along with the ground coffee and salt, then stir to combine
- Pour mixture over the crust and bake for 20 minutes at 180°C
- Remove from oven and set over a wire rack to cool slightly, then sprinkle top with chocolate chips
- Cut into squares and share or refrigerate
Please note: Time is needed to make this recipe as it takes a bit of time to simmer the coconut milk to a thick consistency.