These bursts of energy are jam packed with goodness; a fantastic alternative to store bought energy balls and protein bars.
I discovered this recipe last year and every time it’s been made, it doesn’t take very long till it completely disappears! I took a few batches for some wonderful work colleagues and they vanished within seconds. I was quite overwhelmed by the requests to make more…yes they’re that good!! So, when I make this recipe I always make a minimum of 2 batches at a time.
I have no doubt that there will be lots of very happy people with the sharing of this recipe. These are a brilliant snack for a pre or post workout, or if your going on a nice long bike ride a few can be taken as snacks.
What I love is that they’re easy to make and nutritious, the dates are full of natural fibre, magnesium, iron and potassium. The almond butter is high in protein (excellent for muscle recovery after a workout) and also keeps you fuller for longer. Add a scoop of protein powder if you’re in training mode. The more raw, unprocessed and organic the ingredients, the better.
Heavenly Protein Energy Balls
Prep time: 10 minutes
TIP: Soak dates in boiling water for approximately 20 minutes before preparing the recipe (this will ensure mixture is nice and smooth).
- 10 whole pitted dates
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsps raw cacao
- 2 tbsps almond flakes
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- Shredded coconut, chia seeds, cacao for rolling
- Place the softened dates, almond butter, cacao and honey in a food processor and blend until smooth. (If mixture is a little dry, add a few drops of date soaked water.
- Place the mixture in a medium sized bowl and mix in almond flakes by hand.
- Roll into small balls (about the size of a golf ball).
- Then roll balls into coconut or other yummy ingredient as you wish…then refrigerate. Too easy!