A HuGe welcome to my blog 🙂 I truly hope that everyone visiting this blog enjoys the recipes and walks away feeling inspired to try something new.
My first post is an easy choice because this recipe has been hugely popular on many occasions and I’ve had numerous people ask for this particular recipe. Mainly because of the cake’s moistness, delicious taste and almond meal that completely replaces the traditional white flour.
No matter what time of year it is, a good moist chocolate cake makes a gathering, BBQ or party even better. Seeing as we are quickly approaching the end of the year and many celebrations, we all need a great cake recipe.
You can’t go wrong with chocolate and this is dark chocolate at that. I may be biased when it comes to dark chocolate but there are far too many positives than negatives. It is nutritionally richer, higher in antioxidants and has many more benefits than its milk and white chocolate cousins. I am quite fussy when it comes to using good quality chocolate for my baking so I’ve recommended Nestle Plaistowe, as it’s easy to cook with and consistently tastes fantastic. If you can’t find that particular brand, you can use any good quality dark chocolate.
The cake photo below, excelled my expectations. Since the cake was too good to resist, my beloved brother was fortunate enough to have the slice.
This recipe is easy to make and the most delicious chocolate cake I’ve ever had.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, happy baking 🙂
Delish Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped (Nestle Plaistowe)
- 150g butter, chopped
- 6 free range eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- ice cream, to serve (optional)
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup pure cream
- Preheat fan forced oven to 170oC. Grease a 20 cm (base) round cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan under low heat. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until thick and creamy. Stir in the chocolate mixture. Then add the almond meal and stir until well combined.
- Place eggwhites in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until soft peaks form. Stir in 1/3rd of the eggwhites with a metal spoon into the chocolate mixture. Then carefully fold in the remaining eggwhite into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour mixture into preprepared pan and place in oven for approximately an hour. Test the cake with a skewer and ensure that the skewer comes out with moist crumbs. When ready stand in pan for 10 minutes to cool then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- As cake cools, prepare the icing. Combine chocolate and cream in a saucepan under low heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Spread over cake, allow at least 10 minutes to set in the refrigerator.
- Enjoy the deliciously delectible cake with vanilla ice-cream.